Chronic Leg Pain Treatment NYC
Do you find you don’t even want to get out of bed? Does your leg pain get worse as the day wears on? Leg pain can be annoying or debilitating. When you can’t walk without pain, it limits your activities and makes day-to-day life a painful exercise. Don’t just lie there wishing the pain away; take action by visiting a complete care facility like ReBalance in New York City.
- Are you feeling chronic pain in your thigh that radiates down your leg? Does the pain get worse if you stand or sit for long periods? This type of pain often originates in your lower back or hips. Discover why you’re in pain!
- Your legs bear your weight with ease, allowing you make all the right moves on the court or in the field. If you’re heavier than you used to be, your legs, knees and feet can break down. Chronic pain stems from that wear and tear. Regenerate the joints, muscles, ligaments and tendons in your legs.
- You know to see a doctor if you’re in an accident or have a sports injury, but you may not realize how dangerous it can be if both your legs start swelling. If you’re also having trouble breathing, see a doctor right away!
A Confusing and Pervasive Problem
When you’re dealing with chronic leg pain, you may feel hobbled. In addition to the pain, it’s discouraging not to be able to get around like you’re accustomed to. Constant pain, with no relief or improvement in sight, can destroy your morale. If you’re dealing with chronic leg pain, the mental and emotional burden takes its toll.
That’s the main reason mental fatigue often accompanies chronic leg pain: the constant gnawing discomfort you just can’t escape. It’s with you every time you stand up. It makes itself known if you sit for too long. It changes your life into a continuous battle with pain. If this sounds like you, you’re not alone.
Uncovering the Causes
There are numerous reasons for chronic leg pain. It may be related to muscular, tendon or ligament disorders. Joint pain from your knee or ankle can cause leg pain. It could even be the consequence of a serious underlying disease, such as a circulatory issue or diabetes.
When your leg pain becomes chronic, meaning you’ve experienced it for three straight months, it raises red flags with your doctor at ReBalance. Chronic leg pain may be the result of an injury that didn’t heal properly, or it may be a sign of:
- Bone bruise. A deep bruise can take a long time to heal, especially if you don’t rest it.
- Osteoarthritis. A disease that primarily affects the bone and cartilage of your joints, it can be very painful once it takes hold.
- Ligament damage. If you tear or pull one of the four ligaments in your knee, you experience chronic knee pain and instability.
- Tendon injury. Tendonitis or a ruptured tendon in your knee or ankle can produce pain and stiffness in your joints. It rarely improves on its own and gets worse if try to exercise with it.
- Herniated disc. Also called a ruptured disc, this is an age-related condition that causes the outer layer of a disc to crack, allowing the inner gel to spill out. It can impinge spinal nerves that show up as leg pain.
- Sciatica. A pinched nerve in your lower back can lead to pain down one leg.
- Deep vein thrombosis. A blood clot in your leg, or DVT, can be painful. Your leg may swell or feel warm to the touch.
Chronic Leg Pain Medical Treatments
In most cases, you don’t need surgery, especially when leading-edge medical treatments are available. Your doctor at our facility recommends the best treatment for your specific need. Some of these procedures rely on natural ingredients:
- Massage therapy
- Chiropractic treatment
- Trigger point dry needling
- Sports medicine
- Platelet rich plasma joint and soft tissue injections
- Stem cell therapy
- Regenerative joint medicine
- Intra-articular and interstitial laser regenerative treatment
- Shockwave regenerative treatment
Sometimes, your doctor may want to increase the circulation in your legs as a way to stop your pain and address the root cause of your discomfort. While some of the treatments above help with this aim, you can also help yourself by consulting with our pain management center to develop a safe exercise plan.